Sunday, April 26, 2015

Zesty Orzo Salad

The combination of olives, artichoke hearts and bell peppers give this salad a burst of flavor and I love the addition of Lima Beans for a bit of texture.  If you aren't a Lima bean fan, any other bean will work.

Orzo noodles tend to really soak up the dressing so I poured a good amount of the dressing over the salad while the noodles were warm, then put in the fridge.  I poured the rest of the dressing in before serving.  You may not want to use all the dressing but I prefer well dressed salads.

Zesty Orzo Salad
Dining with Friends CB – adapted recipe

1            cup dry orzo, cooked, drained and rinsed with cool water
1/2         cup red onion, diced
1            bunch scallions  (mostly the white parts), chopped
6            or more sun-dried tomato halves, diced
1/2         red and yellow bell pepper  ( I only had red on hand)
6            or more Spanish olives, pitted and chopped (I used greek olives)
4            artichoke hears, chopped (I used kind jarred in oil)
***1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained ***I didn’t use
1/2         cup cooked lima beans, fresh or frozen
1/4         cup fresh parsley, minced
1/4         cup fresh dill, minced
              salt and pepper to taste

Dressing:
1/2        cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3        cup wine vinegar (I used red)
            juice of one lemon
            pinch of turmeric
            pinch of sugar  (I used a bit of agave)

Place cooked orzo in a salad bowl and stir in red onion, scallions, sun-dried tomatoes, bell peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, beans, parsley and dill.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Whisk dressing ingredients to blend them; taste the dressing and adjust seasonings before combining it with the salad.  Serve slightly chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment