Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Sweet and Sour Mixed Bean Hot Pot


Well, after running all my errands and going to the grocery store for my ingredients, I got home and discovered I forgot Apple Juice, so I got out the Vita Mix and made my own.  I can’t say enough good things about the Vita Mix.  I make soups, sauces and fresh juice all the time.  It’s the hardest working tool in the kitchen!!

Sweet and Sour Mixed Bean Hot Pot (The Best-Ever Vegetarian CB)
1            pound unpeeled potatoes
1            tablespoon olive oil
3            tablespoons soy margarine
1/3         cup whole-wheat flour
1 ¼        cups tomato sauce
2/3         cup unsweetened apple juice
¼           cup each light brown sugar, ketchup, dry sherry, cider vinegar and
              light soy sauce
14          ounce can lima beans
14          ounce can chickpeas
14          ounce pinto or flageolet beans ( I couldn’t find flageolet beans)
6            ounces green beans, chopped and blanched
8            ounces shallots, sliced and blanched
1            tablespoon each chopped fresh thyme and marjoram
              salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Thinly slice the potatoes and parboil them for 4 minutes. Drain the potatoes thoroughly, toss them in the oil so they are lightly coated all over and set aside.

Place the soy butter, four, tomato sauce, apple juice, sugar, ketchup, sherry, vinegar and soy sauce in a saucepan. Heat gently, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Simmer gently for 3 minutes, stirring.

Rinse and drain the beans and chickpeas and add to the sauce with all the remaining ingredients except the herb garnish.  Mix well.

Spoon the bean mixture into a casserole, arrange the potato slices over the top, overlapping them slightly and completely covering the bean mixture.

Cover the casserole with foil and bake for about 1 hour, until the potatoes are cooked and tender. Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes of the cooking time, to lightly brown the potatoes.  

2 comments:

  1. What could I use in this recipe instead of Dry Sherry? Please write me back at:
    sisterem-2@hotmail.com
    Thank you so much. I am a NEW VEGAN....YEAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe is pretty much identical to one I make from The Greatest Ever Vegetarian Cookbook (published 1999). This recipe is missing the green beans which I love in there (fresh and blanched). Also I use Cannellini instead of the flageolet beans since I also can't find them.

    ReplyDelete